- Eat Right
- 4 Months ago
Kohlrabi : Nutrition Facts & Benefits
Kohlrabi, also known as German turnip is a tuberous vegetable. They have similar taste and texture as that of broccoli stem, the more tender the stem, the more crispy and tasty they are. Kohlrabis are called knol-khol in South India and are easily available.
Some of the major health benefits of this vegetable are:
- Kohlrabi is low in calories- about 27 calories per 100 g and contains a negligible amount of fat and zero cholesterol.
- Fresh kohlrabi stems provides about 102% of RDA of vitamin C which helps the human body maintain healthy connective tissues, teeth, and gums.
- These vegetables also help in avoiding cold, cough, and infections and help in boosting immunity.
- The vegetable is rich in antioxidants and assists the human body in preventing diseases and cancers.
- Kohlrabi is rich in phytochemicals such asisothiocyanates, sulforaphane, and indole-3-carbinol that are supposed to protect against prostate and colon cancers.
Over all, it is a very beneficial vegetable that can be used raw in salad/coleslaw or even cut with onions and tomatoes. It can be made into sabzi and eaten with Indian breads. Don’t forget to include this vegetable at least once a week to gain maximum benefits.