- Eat Right
- 9 Months ago
Omega 3 - Your Soldier!
All of us have heard about omega 3 and its health benefits, as it is a popular nutrient now-a-days. But do we include enough omega 3 in our diets regularly? Let’s see how to incorporate this soldier in the diet and how does it protect us...
Omega 3 fatty acids are a class of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are necessary for good health, but are not synthesized in our body. So, have to be provided through diet.
The health benefits of omega 3 fatty acids include –
1. It helps in lowering the blood cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride levels
2. Helps to improve blood HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol)
3. Helps to prevent heart attacks and diabetes
4. Several researchers conclude that it might also play a role in reducing the blood pressure
5. Omega 3 improves immune function
6. Although not confirmed, some studies show that it acts as an anti inflammatory agent, reducing the pain considerably (for instance, pain caused due to rheumatoid arthritis)
All the above and many more...
The dietary sources of omega 3 fatty acids for the non vegetarians are fishes like mackerel, sardines, tuna, and salmon; and the vegetarians can go for flax seeds, soybean oil, canola oil, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil, and walnuts.
If your diet contains all these foods, you have your soldier with you always!