- Get Fit
- 8 Months ago
Affairs of the Heart
Heart disease is rapidly becoming the number one cause of preventable death worldwide. At this point, it is crucial to remember that wellness begins with the heart. Everything that's good for your heart, is good for your body, and ultimately, good for your mind. Here are some practical ways to avoid heart problems are:
- Don't wait for a crisis; 80% of heart attacks are preventable, up to the age of 60, through lifestyle changes. Out of the 80%, 10% are due to low levels of high-density lipoprotein (or good cholesterol), and another 10% are due to unspecified reasons.
- A family history doesn't make a business case for a heart attack. It can be avoided through change in lifestyle.
- Indian cooking kills nutrition present in the veggies due to long cooking time. Go the Thai, Chinese, or Japanese way, as their recipes require you to cook vegetables for less amount of time.
- Eat whole fruits, with the skin. Don't juice them.
- Eat nuts; they lower cholesterol and have antioxidants.
- Four eggs a week are great. Eggs and cashews do not raise cholesterol, saturated fats do. And saturated fats are present in overheated oil.
- Take a spoon of crushed flaxseeds/sesame seeds/linseed. They contain good fats and antioxidants.
- Eat a raw garlic clove in the morning. It reduces cholesterol and blood pressure and prevents colon cancer.
- Everyone should eat fish. Fish has all the proteins, nutrients, minerals, and antioxidants required by the body.
- Never binge-drink. Moderate drinking on most days is fine. Limit to two small drinks, each lasting an hour. So your liver has time to absorb them. And no sodas please! They ruin your teeth and bloat your body.
- If you have never exercised, start slow and build it up, else you may collapse.
Vary your exercise schedule. Walk one day, cycle the next, do weights the third, and yoga on the fourth day.
- Spend more time with your doctor than required. She will guide you better on prevention of problems.
- The body, like the stock market, behaves rather unpredictably. Always be alert. Listen to it, rather than taking it for granted.
- Listen to music. Meditate and make it a point to take a small holiday every quarter. It could only be a three-day weekend, but it will work wonders in lowering your stress levels.