- Get Fit
- 10 Months ago
Help Halt the Spread of Flu
The past few months brought focus to influenza, particularly the H1N1 virus (also referred to as "swine flu".
The symptoms of this novel H1N1 flu are similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza and include:
- Fever greater than 100°F (37.8°C)
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Body aches and headache
- Sore throat
If you get sick, you may be ill for a week or longer. You should stay home and avoid contact with other people as much as possible, except to seek medical care, to keep from spreading your illness. If you leave the house to seek medical care, wear a mask or cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
6 Ways You Can Avoid Flu Viruses:
- Stay informed.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleansers are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread that way.
- Stay home if you get sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds, and other social distancing measures.