How to Manage Sickness when you're Diabetic
- 6 Months ago
When you are unwell, you need to take care, but when you are diabetic and unwell, you need to take extra care. As a diabetic person, when you fall sick, your body tries to fight the disease by releasing stress hormones. The downside of these hormones is that they make your blood sugar levels go up, and this may be a problem when you are diabetic.
Important guidelines to follow when you are sick:
• Check your blood sugar levels using blood glucose monitor every two to four hours.
• If your blood sugar levels have constantly been above 250 mg/dL, then check your urine ketone levels using a ketone test strip. Call your doctor immediately if the ketone test is positive.
• Check your temperature regularly.
• Make sure you're having plenty of sugar free fluids to avoid dehydration.
• Do not stop taking your diabetes pills or insulin, even if you are not able to eat. Talk to your doctor about your dosage if necessary.